Main Street Tax Company Privacy Notice
Main Street Tax Company Digital Tax Preparation, Online, and Mobile Application Privacy Practices and Principles
Protecting your information is important to us. The following guidelines set forth our general privacy practices and principles that apply to information we collect through the services we perform:
Special Note to Parents: Because of the nature of the services we provide, we do not market our services to children under the age of 13, nor do we knowingly collect information from children under the age of 13.
- Contact Information (e.g., name, phone number, address, and email address);
- Social Security Number and other government identification numbers (e.g., EIN, Driver’s License Number and ITIN);
- Date of Birth;
- Financial Information (e.g., income, revenue, assets, credits, deductions, expenses, and bank account information);
- Payment Data (e.g., checking, debit and credit card account numbers, balances and payment history);
- Health Information (e.g., health insurance status and financial information related to payment for healthcare services);
- Geo-Location Information;
- Website, Mobile Application, and Email Usage Data;
- Device Information (e.g., internet protocol (IP) address, unique identifier, app version, operating system, network data, and phone state);
Where do we get this information? You provide us most of the information we collect. We also receive information through certain digital technologies when you interact with us. Finally, other companies and government entities may share information with us.
We collect information directly from you. We collect information you voluntarily provide as part of using or requesting our services. This information includes information you provide as part of preparing your tax return or electronically filing your tax return It also includes documents you choose to send to us via facsmile, text, email or via Dropbox (see Send Us Documents page of this website). If you choose not to provide certain information we request, we may be unable to serve you as our products, services, tools or calculators may rely upon this information.
Our websites may offer publicly accessible blogs or community forums. You should be aware that any information you provide in these areas may be read, collected, and used by others who access them. To request removal of your personal information (e.g., name and city) from our blog or community forum, you can contact us by clicking here. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why.
We collect information when you use our services. We collect certain information and usage data whenever you interact with us, whether online, through a mobile application, or view an email. This data may include which websites you visit, what you click on, and when you performed those actions. These activities may be performed by us or a service provider acting on our behalf.
We utilize certain web and wireless technologies to collect this information. These technologies include cookies and web beacons. Please see “What types of web and wireless technologies (including Cookies) do we use?” for an in-depth discussion of these technologies and how to opt-out.
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or state taxing authorities may require we collect certain personal and system information in connection with preparing or electronically filing your tax return. This may include your name, social security number, IP addresses, and unique device identifiers.
How do we use your information? We use your information to provide you the products and services you request.
- Offer you products and services. We may use your information to contact you about products and services offered by us.
- Mobile Devices. When you use a mobile device, we may ask your permission to dial a phone number, access your camera or photo library, access the internet, access your calendar, push notifications to you, read and write to internal and external storage, wake/lock your mobile device, and authorize in-app purchases.
- Security Enhancements. We may use publicly available information to verify your personal information in order to improve the security of our services, protect your identity, and protect your information.
- Calculators and Tools. When you use our calculators and other tools, we may collect non-identifiable data, such as the number of people that use a certain tool. We may also set cookies or clear gifs based upon your use so that you do not have to re-enter your information in a later visit and to help us customize offers and tools to your particular interests. For our calculators and other tools that require registration or ask for your contact information, we may contact you directly with relevant services and offers.
Who do we share your information with? We do not sell or rent your information without your consent.
How do we respond to web browser “do not track” signals? We treat the data of everyone who comes to our websites in accordance with this Privacy Notice, whatever their “do not track” setting. While we do not respond to web browser “do not track” signals, we give you choices about receiving promotional offers from us or third-parties. You can exercise your choices as described in this Privacy Notice.
How do we secure your information? The security of your personal information is important to us. We maintain appropriate safeguards to protect your information. If you have any questions about the security of our services, you can contact us by clicking here.
We follow generally accepted standards to protect information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. Nevertheless, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that comply with applicable law and federal standards and that are designed to restrict access to your information. These safeguards include programs and specifications for physical security and records retention and disposal; computer and communication security measures reflected in system design, password protection, and data management practices; and other measures to restrict access to the data we hold in physical and electronic forms.
If we collect sensitive information (such as your social security number), we will encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL).
If we share your information with our service providers, we require all service providers to have written contracts that specify appropriate use of your personal information, require them to safeguard your personal information, and prohibit them from making unauthorized or unlawful use of your personal information.
How long do we keep your information? We keep your information for as long as needed or as required by law.
The IRS requires us to retain filed tax returns for a period of at least three years.
It is our policy that if you start, but do not complete, a tax return in our online tax programs, we will generally keep the tax return information you provide until the end of that tax season, after which it will be deleted from our system.
Third-party products and services, including social media features. This Privacy Notice does not apply to products or services offered by third-parties on or through our services. You should carefully read the privacy notices and any terms and conditions applicable to such third-party products or services.
Our services may contain links to third-party websites or offers for services from third-parties. This Privacy Notice does not apply to these products or services. You should carefully read the privacy notices of the third-parties providing such products or services and any terms and conditions applicable to such products or services.
We have business relationships with third-parties that provide products or services on or through our services. These companies are clearly identified. When you request products or services from such companies, you give us permission to provide these third-parties with information about you necessary to fulfill or process your request.
For instance, your use of social media features may use scripting or may require us to share your IP address and which page you are visiting to enable the feature to function properly. Social media features and widgets are either hosted by a third-party or hosted directly on our site, and your interactions with these features are governed by the privacy notice of the company providing it. Examples of these features are the Facebook “Like” button, the “Share This” button, and interactive mini-programs that run on our services.
Accessing Our Services from Outside the United States. Our services are hosted on servers located in the United States. We also use service providers located in the United States to bring you our services. If you access our services from outside the United States, you consent to the transfer of your information, including your personal information, to the United States, a jurisdiction that may not provide the same level of protection to your personal information as your home country.
Contact Us. If you have questions or concerns regarding this Privacy Notice, contact us by clicking here or by calling (717) 721-6996.